York Housing & Support Services
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary:
Working with clients towards the goal of permanent housing. In this role you will be responsible for admitting clients, intake, triage primary support, monitoring, referral and clerical duties. Provide clients with encouragement and access to other services.
Program (via virtual or maintaining physical distancing)
- Facilitate intake of clients and arrange transportation to the shelter
- Initial COVID-19 Screening
- Facilitate orientation for clients by providing client handbook outlining regulations and schedules.
- Daily client check-in and ongoing monitoring for symptoms
- Documenting client admission, discharge and housing plan
- Assessing client needs (complete standardized assessment using tools virtually by phone)
- Crisis intervention in response to mental health or compliance (with assistance from security)
- Delivery of supplies and snacks. (maintaining physical distance)
- Promote a comfortable and safe environment where clients can successfully self-isolate for 14-days
- Ensure client information is recorded in appropriate places
- Data entry of all required data fields in: HIFIS, Streamline Access, other online referral systems
- Report any safety issues that arise to the site supervisor
- Link participants with housing, health and social services/supports (internal and external referrals) using established procedure and assessments
- Provide crisis counseling and one-on-one support via tablet or telephone as needed
- Ensure that all telephone inquiries are answered in a timely manner and responded with the appropriate service. Record all calls according to policy
- Ensure all Taxi logs are completed and recorded according to policy
- Ensure staffing locations are kept sanitized as per Public Health Guidelines
- Ensure you are following all Public Health guidelines at all times
- College diploma in Social Sciences field or equivalent experience (minimum)
- Previous experience with people experiencing homelessness as asset (one to three years)
- Must have thorough knowledge and understanding of complexities of homelessness
- Knowledge and understanding of Mental Health/Addictions as they relate to homelessness and crisis
- Thorough knowledge and commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression and equity
- Problem solving skills essential
- The responsibilities demand a high degree of confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated competence using online Data collection systems (HIFIS) and Excel Spreadsheets
- Strong computer skills, Microsoft suite of products (Processing/Desktop, Spreadsheets, Database (HIFIS,) computer skills essential)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Must have good interpersonal/time management skills/ detailed and task orientated
- Good knowledge of community resources
- Able to deescalate individual’s experiencing crisis where you could potentially be exposed to emotional (angry, upset, abusive, etc..) people and are occasionally exposed to foul language or verbal abuse. (THIS IS ON MUNICIPAL JOB POSTING FOR OW AND HOUSING)
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 42 hours per week
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.